ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ORBETH EMPIRE

WELCOME TO THE GRACELAND

HomeStar Trek: The Next Generation EmptySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaia

Gaia

Star Trek: The Next Generation Empty
PostSubject: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Star Trek: The Next Generation...... has started airing here on a channel called PickTV from the beginning, season 1.

I am going to watch as much of it as possible as I have never watched it properly before, and it has some very thought-provoking things. I will probably post in this thread now and then to share thoughts on it. Hooray I hear you say! (well some of you perhaps)

The first episode I watched that really caught my attention was called "Justice". I want to share some thoughts on it, so ::spoiler warning:: if you haven't seen it and don't want to hear about it, do not read on yet. Here's a brief overview of the episode from wiki:

Quote :
The episode focuses on Wesley inadvertently breaking the absolute law of an alien world. When the youth is adjudged to be deserving of the death sentence, Captain Picard has to deal with the world's powerful and mysterious protector, as well as considerations concerning violation of the Prime Directive.

The world is like a paradise, and everything seems great. Till the Enterprise crew realise that the perfection is only possible due to the world having strict, somewhat hidden, absolute laws running parralel with the lives of the nice people there. Laws that are protected and watched over by a seemingly all-seeing, all-powerful being they call God... which floats unbeknownst to them above their planet in a semi-visible sort of space station.

This "God" appears to be an extremely advanced intelligence that is seemingly able to manifest itself in different ways, such as this orb:

Star Trek: The Next Generation Edo-god

...whereby it enters the enterprise without authority, and merely issues simple worded instructions to the Captain in an epic, deafening, booming voice! And then leaves without warning. The essence of the being is never discovered in that episode.

I really liked the episode. Another fairly good episode was on recently called "Too Short a Season". Mainly the ending that was ultra-epic and simultaneously disturbing. I will try find some streaming links to it as, nothing on the 'tube.

Anyone else seen much of The Next Generation before? I'm sure you will have Tommy. BTW Tommy if you know of any good links for streaming episodes I'd like to know about it, thanks.
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Welcome to the best Star Trek series made. Follow up with Deep Space Nine. Forget Voyager and Enterprise as they are both shit.

TNG is available on bluray now, but it's a bit steep at over £50.

I've never come across any streaming sites on my travels.
Back to top Go down
http://cartooncartoons.forumotion.co.uk/
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Ha, thanks Tommy. I knew if I waited long enough without buying a Freesat thing that some form of the Trek would re-appear.

I'm not sure I will agree entirely with your thoughts on the other versions though. I definitely don't on the Voyager being rubbish count.

Voyager is what got me into ST in the first place, Well, Voyager and Jeri Ryan in an extremely tight fitting futuristic catsuit, but Voyager none the less! And it had its share of episodes that were ultra epic also. But I confess, there were definitely certain things about Voyager that I have instantly noticed don't stand up, such as the realism of this I bet. Example, when I think of Voyager, I often think of Captain Jayneway Waltzing around with cups of coffee in her hand, offering advice in her smoozing voice. Hahaha! Doesn't quite match the realism of good ol' northern/mid-atlantic Picard sturdyness eh. But apart from all that I quite liked it, so it will always have a place for me. Without Voyager I could of gone on thinking Star Trek was a load of somewhat boring, American crap for geeks (which I still do to some degree, no offense intended lol). So praise be to Voyager. "Enterprise" series I haven't seen enough of to conclude an opinion but, I'll take your advice there based on reviews I've read also.

All in all, I'm sure T.N.G. will probably outdo Voyager it in a number of ways that remains to be seen, even without a Jeri Ryan, so I'm looking forward to it. I was also surprised by the seeming non-political correctness in some ways of these early episodes of The Next Generation?! They never had that in Voyager! I guess that's the difference between filming in the 80s and 90s perhaps. Makes it extra interesting I think.

On the Justice episode again briefly, just to clarify for all... I should stress having re-read what I typed that, whilst I said everything about the episode seemed "great" and concluded with their terms of it being a "paradise", I do not personally necessarily agree with all the social and moral concepts of that episode.

I've actually seen that ultra-epic Justice episode before for definite a couple of times over the years but, never with the same attention to detail as now.

If you don't mind me asking, how well do you know T.N.G. episodes Tommy? Dare you confess the truth? LoL
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:13 pm

I can tell what the episode is by the name, at least most of the time.

Hel, I even went to two Star Trek conventions and got my Way Of The Warrior video signed by Robert O'Reilly and was one of the first people in the world to see Klingon when it was made.

About Voyager. The stories did improve once Seven was introduced. Before that, it was nearly always death death death.
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Next Episode I think worth mentioning... "Where No One Has Gone Before". Pretty darn mega-epic:

Quote :
An alien visitor involved in warp efficiency tests ends up sending the Enterprise traveling far beyond known space, where the crew's imagination takes on real form. First appearance of Eric Menyuk as The Traveler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_No_One_Has_Gone_Before

Star Trek: The Next Generation 270px-ST_WNGBimage

It reminded me of a lighthearted, more positive Event Horizon. No doubt those who made that film were inspired by things like that.

Tommy8008 wrote:
I can tell what the episode is by the name, at least most of the time.

Hel, I even went to two Star Trek conventions and got my Way Of The Warrior video signed by Robert O'Reilly and was one of the first people in the world to see Klingon when it was made.
That's pretty hardcore. Smile Respect.

I shall keep a look out for your analysis of Voyagers early episodes when I next watch it. One thing I did notice, having watched Voyager more or less fully, was the change in the characters and acting. Tuvok seemed a lot colder in the intial episodes from memory, for example.
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 am

For me, and this is a weird one, but the best pre Seven episode was Macrocosm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation   Star Trek: The Next Generation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Page 1 of 1