ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!

ORBETH EMPIRE

WELCOME TO THE GRACELAND

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

How best to grind ones Washing Machine?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gaia

PostSubject: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Hey B,

Have you had a chance to check out the new Korg Clip Hit yet?

I am wanting to get something like this simply for desk drumming, would obviously be a laugh if it worked decently everywhere like the fridge or bathtub too. So I'm thinking to get one to checkout but, wondering what's so different about it to a standard module and triggers like redshot brand, if anything?

I'm assuming it's virtually identical save for the handy clip design and lighter cabling? The limited 4 inputs is bit off-putting. I'm wondering whether simply using an Alesis drum module and some of these:

Would be any better? Only I can't imagine getting the redshots to sit right on a flat surface?

The website for the Korg ClipHit states the "Contact microphone is equivalent to CM-200." Not had experience with these so unsure whether it would be better or worse than my above customised scenario?

Would appreciate thoughts from the supreme chain-gun grinder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bijimitsu
Admin

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

PostSubject: Re: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Righto! Supreme Chain-gun Grinder! haha!

Firstly this looks great fun! I'd love to be able to be making a glorious Orbethian stir-fry whilst doing blast beats on the microwave and dogs bed!

The thing with Red shots is they need to be screwed down for starters. They normally attach to the rim of a drum via the tuning screws. Secondly personally don't think that they would be the best triggers for this specific scenario. This is because they rely on more vibration than, lets say, a table would offer.

Regarding the drum module I'd deffo go with a DM5 or the like purely so you'd have more drum sounds to play with. All if you don't mind heavier cabling of course.

You could solder up some piezzo elements to some input jacks dirt cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-27mm-Piezo-Elements-Sounder-Sensor-Trigger-Drum-Disc-/121543694726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4c919986

These would work a treat on pretty much any surface.

The drum dial type are more expensive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-DRUMDIAL-DRUM-TRIGGERS-NEW-dial-trigger-module-electronic-/220864924393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336c934ae9

Nevertheless i'd say a custom DM5 type setup would be rather fun!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orbeth.co.uk
Gaia

PostSubject: Re: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Bijimitsu wrote:
Regarding the drum module I'd deffo go with a DM5 or the like purely so you'd have more drum sounds to play with. All if you don't mind heavier cabling of course.

You could solder up some piezzo elements to some input jacks dirt cheap

Thanks for the feedback chief. I solder them if I could get access to my soldering kit Mad .

However I would be concerned about the lack of protection on the flimsy things in their raw form.

Any idea about some sort of plastic covering I could use to protect the  cabling and solder? Those bits would snap and break easy. And the idea of using electrical tape everywhere is not exactly aesthetically pleasing or solid.

Otherwise I may look at the ready made drum dial bits. Still going to be custom as they also will need some type of taping if they are to work on, say for example, the toilet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Gaia wrote:
Any idea about some sort of plastic covering I could use to protect the  cabling and solder?.

Heatshrink should do. Maplins sell it. That's what I use on the soldering on my lit models.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cartooncartoons.forumotion.co.uk/
Bijimitsu
Admin

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

PostSubject: Re: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:25 am

^

Yup good call T
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orbeth.co.uk
Gaia

PostSubject: Re: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Heatshrink, that's the name of the bloody stuff. Thanks for that Tommy.

I think I'm going to get a couple of them cheap Piezo elements and have a go creating a custom noise-grinding device before I go full-hog.

It's going to look weird, and sound a lot weirder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: How best to grind ones Washing Machine?   Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Happy to help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cartooncartoons.forumotion.co.uk/

How best to grind ones Washing Machine?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1