ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ORBETH EMPIRE

WELCOME TO THE GRACELAND

HomeInspiration? EmptySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Inspiration?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eisen

Eisen

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 8:54 am

Ben, I have yet to contribute to this section of the forum and thought it might be about my time to do so. Or else I shall feel like a lazy buffoon. But anyway, I am curious to know of your sources of inspiration. Whether they be music, art, or other media, nature, or surreal/fantastic ideas added onto current reality, or whether your ideas come to you through some sort of appreciation for the majesty of the universe itself, or a combination of any of the above mentioned things!

I know that in some ways your mind works much like mine, and I'm curious if you ponder on possible fantastical outcomes/ideas about reality in combination with appreciating the majesty of the universe sort of like I do!

So let's hear it, if you don't mind.

Also, dude, you really need to get on Skype more.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Eisen wrote:
Ben, I have yet to contribute to this section of the forum and thought it might be about my time to do so. Or else I shall feel like a lazy buffoon. But anyway, I am curious to know of your sources of inspiration. Whether they be music, art, or other media, nature, or surreal/fantastic ideas added onto current reality, or whether your ideas come to you through some sort of appreciation for the majesty of the universe itself, or a combination of any of the above mentioned things!

I know that in some ways your mind works much like mine, and I'm curious if you ponder on possible fantastical outcomes/ideas about reality in combination with appreciating the majesty of the universe sort of like I do!

So let's hear it, if you don't mind.

Also, dude, you really need to get on Skype more.

Well Eisen thanks for asking *opens skype*

I guess the answer for Orbeth's inspiration is mostly dreams and mind visions. Thankfully I have really really detailed and memorable dreams. Consisting of lots of strange stuff and sometimes quite scary stuff. For example, back in the day when I wrote 'Deep Blue' i'd previously had a dream where I was on a sea planet swimming around with these gigantic creatures amongst great under sea obelisks.............*not drug induced*. These dreams are normally about far off worlds and the universe etc......as you'll hear in 13th Orb! LOL!

A re-occurring dream i have is that of the earth sized room in which I am bound into a corner. In the room is a sound.......bouncing off the walls .......a voice...........I can't quite make out what it is saying and when the sound gets to me its too quite and gone again before i get a chance to hear it.......then it takes AAAAGGGEEEEEEEESSSSSSS to come back again! GAAAAAAAH! Evil or Very Mad Also the section at the end of 'Our Graceland' on 'I Dream' is very significant in that it is an almost perfect sonic replica of what i hear in another dream I have about the portal to Orbethia..... 'Time Hole Closing' is inspired by this dream also........ It's where I have arrived on said planet and am looking back up at the portal closing behind me. I wish you could see it its scary as shat! lol!

Anyway, maybe this is a little off topic..........

As for musical inspiration there are many composers and artists that inspire me ranging over many genres....... Mike Oldfield, Jean Michelle Jarre, Bal Sagoth, Sepultura, Bjork, Bach, Howard Shore, Clannad etc and many other underground artists that no mortal has heard of.....My personal history plays a big part also.........memories etc

I take no inspiration from the media currently...... or at least not directly i hope. I do like attempting to make something that i've seen visually into a sonic concept though.......Visiting Utah helped me alot recently. 13th Orb is kind of like an epic story with few words but many layers of sound.......you'll hear what i mean soon. flower

Someone asked me the other day "would you rather be blind or deaf"......... see if you can guess the answer scratch

Last edited by Bijimitsu on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.orbeth.co.uk
Gaia

Gaia

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Nice read. Out of interest, why do you highlight the "*not drug induced*" line Bijimitsu?

Do you have something against drug users or something?
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Gaia wrote:
Nice read. Out of interest, why do you highlight the "*not drug induced*" line Bijimitsu?

Do you have something against drug users or something?

I stated *not drug induced* as the explanation sounds like it could be a drug induced experience. In this instance it is not.

I also have many friends that are drug users and therefore the answer to your second question is no.

Very Happy

Last edited by Bijimitsu on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 am

Bijimitsu wrote:
. I do like attempting to make something that i've seen visually into a sonic concept though.......Visiting Utah helped me alot recently. 13th Orb is kind of like an epic story with few words but many layers of sound.......you'll hear what i mean soon. flower

Yeah, that's one of the things I enjoy about 13th Orb most, along with your other albums...

I as well would indeed be interested (if I had the ability) to transfer visual concepts into sound. Ironically, I'm a somewhat-not-really refined artist, but I have yet to actually embark on any missions to transferring music which I'm passionate about into a "deep" visual interpretation. Mostly because I'm lazy/it feels like it'd be difficult or impossible given my perfectionist nature and whatnot. But I'd really like to someday, ideally.

One day though, I might become a semi driver and just tour the country while taking in some visual orgasms/inspirations along the journey. Perhaps even later than that I'll delve into the musical shit too. Who knows.

Also, the more I hear you out, Ben, the more I feel like because of how we operate, we're something like brothers with different mothers or something. Not in the serious way, but... I just find it interesting how much we have in common I suppose. Just take that as a statement with good intentions.

... Anyway, sonic/visual sense transfer is awesome. I am forever in love with the dreamy visions I get in my head when I listen to Orbeth. Whether it's something my head does alone or what, I take in much mental imagery during listening sessions. It brings me a sort of strange euphoric bliss that strongly connects me to certain songs in particular. Just thought you should be aware.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 am

Eisen wrote:
Bijimitsu wrote:
. I do like attempting to make something that i've seen visually into a sonic concept though.......Visiting Utah helped me alot recently. 13th Orb is kind of like an epic story with few words but many layers of sound.......you'll hear what i mean soon. flower

Yeah, that's one of the things I enjoy about 13th Orb most, along with your other albums...

I as well would indeed be interested (if I had the ability) to transfer visual concepts into sound. Ironically, I'm a somewhat-not-really refined artist, but I have yet to actually embark on any missions to transferring music which I'm passionate about into a "deep" visual interpretation. Mostly because I'm lazy/it feels like it'd be difficult or impossible given my perfectionist nature and whatnot. But I'd really like to someday, ideally.

One day though, I might become a semi driver and just tour the country while taking in some visual orgasms/inspirations along the journey. Perhaps even later than that I'll delve into the musical shit too. Who knows.

Also, the more I hear you out, Ben, the more I feel like because of how we operate, we're something like brothers with different mothers or something. Not in the serious way, but... I just find it interesting how much we have in common I suppose. Just take that as a statement with good intentions.

... Anyway, sonic/visual sense transfer is awesome. I am forever in love with the dreamy visions I get in my head when I listen to Orbeth. Whether it's something my head does alone or what, I take in much mental imagery during listening sessions. It brings me a sort of strange euphoric bliss that strongly connects me to certain songs in particular. Just thought you should be aware.

And aware I am!

I am fortunate to be able to convert visual experiences into sonic ones. I also agree that you probably have very similar emotions and hormonal reactions when listening to certain sections of the Orbeth catalogue. I defo compose most of it with this in mind

Interestingly I do drive a semi also! haha! fook .....but not for long .....a new path awaits (maybe the music will change who knows)

geek

Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 3:54 am

Whoa wait, really? You legitimately drive a semi? Why wasn't I told this earlier?

If that's the case, would you mind sometime giving me the lowdown on how the whole business works? I'm always weary about trying new things and afraid I'll fuck up, but I'd rather try than be stuck where I am.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 am

Eisen wrote:
Whoa wait, really? You legitimately drive a semi? Why wasn't I told this earlier?

If that's the case, would you mind sometime giving me the lowdown on how the whole business works? I'm always weary about trying new things and afraid I'll fuck up, but I'd rather try than be stuck where I am.

Inspiration? 2012-010

Inspiration? 2012-011

Inspiration? 2012-012

Aye here's a few of them pirat

Ice road trucker looooool!

I only drive a rig a couple of times a week when not teaching or volunteering but here goes..........

There are many ways in which it works. I myself have my own Limited company (self employed) and I basically sub contract myself out to various transport companies via an agency. Not sure if its the same in the US. The other way is to own a rig yourself and then again sub contract out. However this is expensive and becoming less common nowadays specially in the UK. Many self employed drivers either lease their motors or sub through an agency and drive direct for the transport companies.

Obviously I'd prefer to be doing Orbeth full time and touring the planet but its just not that simple with musician issues and a live band etc. Hell i'd even drive the Orbeth Semi! HAHA! We shall see one day.

But yes trucking is cool because you are free to think and your not under any stress ......everything is at your pace. Its out on the road that many of the Orbeth ideas come to light in my head. Plus you get to see some amazing and inspirational scenery......especially up North! "Hey T"! lol! Not to mention the sunsets and sunrises! they are the best part! I mostly drive through the night .......... creature of the night!

Hopefully though as of March i'll be off the roads undertaking a new adventure! Wink

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 11:18 am

Bijimitsu wrote:
especially up North! "Hey T"! lol!

Hehehe, not much scenery in Gateshead though, unless you do Derwent Walk.
Back to top Go down
http://cartooncartoons.forumotion.co.uk/
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm

Tommy wrote:
Bijimitsu wrote:
especially up North! "Hey T"! lol!

Hehehe, not much scenery in Gateshead though, unless you do Derwent Walk.

Cool i must check that oot! and not forgetting the ahem cough cough........hack hack........'angel' ..... hiccup........'of the North' .......for it's pure beauty! LOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Bijimitsu wrote:
Cool i must check that oot!

It's just a 3 minute drive from Costco Wink .

Bijimitsu wrote:
and not forgetting the ahem cough cough........hack hack........'angel' ..... hiccup........'of the North' .......for it's pure beauty! LOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Or as we call it, the aeroplane haha.
Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 am

I actually hate the shit out of my current job. Working 10 hours some nights with no dinner or break, doing nothing but dishes and dealing with rude customers and doing other employees' jobs for them, not getting home and cleaned up till midnight... all for minimum wage. 7 dollars and 25 cents an hour. Not to mention, for me it's a stressful environment. I absolutely do not do well with stress, either.

I've been considering moving on to doing art commissions at least on the side until I find another job, or move to it full time if I decide I enjoy it enough.

I dunno, it's hard to get me moving in any direction. I heard from a friend that there's a company that trains new drivers and gives them a rig and all that fancy junk if they agree to work for the company for a year, or some predetermined period like that. Problem with that is, I don't want to commit to something I've never had any experience with.

My biggest general concerns about trucking would be making turns in the inner cities and backing up. Also, breakdowns, lol.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Eisen wrote:
I actually hate the shit out of my current job. Working 10 hours some nights with no dinner or break, doing nothing but dishes and dealing with rude customers and doing other employees' jobs for them, not getting home and cleaned up till midnight... all for minimum wage. 7 dollars and 25 cents an hour. Not to mention, for me it's a stressful environment. I absolutely do not do well with stress, either.

I've been considering moving on to doing art commissions at least on the side until I find another job, or move to it full time if I decide I enjoy it enough.

I dunno, it's hard to get me moving in any direction. I heard from a friend that there's a company that trains new drivers and gives them a rig and all that fancy junk if they agree to work for the company for a year, or some predetermined period like that. Problem with that is, I don't want to commit to something I've never had any experience with.

My biggest general concerns about trucking would be making turns in the inner cities and backing up. Also, breakdowns, lol.

Well sounds like you've started off similar to me...........I began my penny earning career bowing to the demands of greedy customers in a very similar setting to the one you're alluding to ....... and tbh it also sucked ass!

Art commissions would be ace ! you should defo follow where you heart is!

As for the trucking thang agreed ..........i would definitely go and have at least a weeks work experience somehow to see the ins and outs of it ! its not all "singing and dancing" as they say. It can be real tough. LOOOOOOOONG HOURS ....... I did two fifteen hour shifts back to back last week and then three thirteen hour shifts after that. If i'm correct on the American rigs you can be gone for weeks at a time. I got offered a job in Saskatchewan Canada hauling from the paper mills down into the US..........nearly took it........

Kewl

Yes boss work is stressful but apparently it sets you free.......... afro
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm

I've always wanted to try trucking, but bad eyes and high blood pressure took care of that. That and the fear of hitting everything GTA style haha.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 am

Tommy wrote:
I've always wanted to try trucking, but bad eyes and high blood pressure took care of that. That and the fear of hitting everything GTA style haha.

lol!

GOURAANGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

while we are on this subject i got to play with this bad boy earlier last week:

Inspiration? Wp_00010

Inspiration? Wp_00011
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am

Nice wheels.
Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 6:36 pm

I forgot about this. Still jealous.

I haven't thought about the concept in a while, but now that I think about it, the more I say I wouldn't mind being a trucker if I don't have any luck in the field of astronomy... which is nice, because I was wondering what I would do if I couldn't break into the aforementioned field.

In regards to inspiration, have you ever taken your inspirations into visual form other than album covers and whatnot? I'm curious now about what the portal to Orbethia looks like, listening to "Our Grace Land" again.

And, what differences would you say there are between your old inspiration and new, if any?
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 1:49 pm

https://www.facebook.com/orbethmetal/photos_albums

^
This is about as visual as it gets at the moment dude. I guess i should sit down and draw/composite some actual visuals of 'The Vortex' and 'The Valley of The Storm' Etc.......that would be cool !

As for differences they all come in the form of life i guess and what i have personally experienced. My recent trip to Mallorca has inspired some ace stuff! THIS VIEW INCLUDED !

Inspiration? 111

Inspiration? 210

Inspiration? 310

Reminds me a little of that first level in 'Sonic Unleashed' for the PS3! haha!

Some amazing scenery here anyway! sunny sunny sunny It's a shame the sun wasn't out this day......although the clouds do give it a good Orbethian feel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Inspiration? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inspiration?   Inspiration? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inspiration?
Page 1 of 1