ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ORBETH EMPIRE

WELCOME TO THE GRACELAND

HomeNo 13th topic? EmptySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No 13th topic?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eisen

Eisen

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 am

I am disappoint. You guys should be all over this.

Sorry for my... late, late appearance. Things have been somewhat complicated here. Plus, as always I've been a lazy fucker and haven't gotten around to doing much of anything useful.

But I had a dream just last night... Ben, the one, the Orbethian lord, appeared to me in a dream, and he asked me about what I thought of the album. So, I felt obligated to get off my ass and contribute to the 13th orb thread... only to find none. So I'm here to start this up, because we really need some 13th Orb discussion in here.

I'm not a very good music critic I don't think (at least in terms of analytical breakdown), but I think I should start off by saying that in general, this album is awesome. Very diverse, very well written, both fun and relaxing to listen to, and yet it's classic Orbeth sound.

I know it's sounds lazy of me to say this, but I enjoy literally every song on this album, just for different reasons. They're all catchy yet melodic and heavy and have this "truckin'" rhythm to them at some points. Also, Ben pulled out some nice effects and was pretty experimental at certain points.

Also, is it just me, or does this whole album have this sort of "awesome alien ice world at night during an aurora storm" atmosphere to it? Cuz I'm totally getting that feel right now from Terra Ignota.

Anyways, come on Empire, let's share our experience with this album. I prefer to say what I've got to say one post at a time in a conversational matter instead of just rambling off opinions... So I'll start off.

What's the consensus on Terra Ignota? Forums? Ben? How was this for you to write? Starts off very unusually for an Orbeth album, progresses into Orbethian normality, then goes in strange places... strange, yet very fascinating places. 1:45 totally caught me off guard. I was like "whoa" when I first heard it... and I wanted more! Still do. Hoping there's more where it came from. Wink

Finally, I think I'll offer a discussion point that could be controversial. I noticed something I haven't before. It's the drums. They're really awesome no doubt, but somehow they feel... Off? To me I think I've noticed a trend in Orbeth albums where the drums are awesome but sometimes feel as though they fit in with the song's melody, riff, theme, or motif. It could just be that since I'm a rhythmic-music kinda dude (I very much enjoy electronic/electro, house, hip-hop, and prog metal rhythms) and the style is more familiar to those who enjoy blastbeats and deathmetal drumming and such. But whatever the reason, do you guys think drumming could or should be different in any way? Ben, how do you feel about your drumming writing, and do you ever think about writing in a more rhythmic style?

I know I promised to not have such a huge text wall but... oops. There's just a lot to say and it's already pretty late for me. Ben, perhaps if I'm online when you are we could discuss this a little over skype too? I'm very curious to hear what thoughts you have and excited to share some my thoughts and feelings on the album and other things.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am

Hey Eisen,
Firstly thanks for kicking off this thread. I’ve been a little busy lately sorting out a new career move so my apologies for not being on here much.

Anyhow to answer your questions in short ..........here goes

Yes! I am defo feeling the ‘alien ice planet aurora storm’ concept you speak of. In fact much of this album has been influenced by the experiences of a close friend of mine. He recently voyaged to Iceland and took some EPIC pics........ here’s one of them.

No 13th topic? 37884312

ORBETHIA! ^^^ Twisted Evil

As for the track terra Ignota I really wanted to replicate the atmosphere that you speak of. Using ‘far out’ sounding solos that give it a sort of cold feel. Specifically the solo at 1:45........ one of those “stop what you’re doing and look to the horizon” sort of moments for sure!

Ok as for the drums.......well ........ it has always been one of my personal traits to include the drums as much as possible. To make them follow what is going on and have their own ‘virtuoso’ part you could say. It’s definitely not something you hear regularly elsewhere no doubt but I love to do this with the drums. I think of them as part of the puzzle ........simple as that. RE a more rhythmic style........ hmmm maybe it could work but to me the drums would just be boring then i suppose. I really dig technical drums over basic drums (is this what you mean).

Anyhow yeah mang! I really enjoy all of the tracks on this one. I attacked it with a much more relaxed approach. I said to myself “just enjoy it and make it catchy” ..........and it seems to have worked. Some of the bass parts are ace! I tell you the clean section "OVER THE GREAT ORBETHIAN MOUNTAIN" in ‘Riding The Ice Fields’ blows my undercrackers off EVERY time! And the build up section in ‘Planetoid Alpha’ ............whoa!

Again thanks for the post !
Back to top Go down
http://www.orbeth.co.uk
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 pm

That's a really fantastic picture. The Norselands have the best beauty spots.
Back to top Go down
http://cartooncartoons.forumotion.co.uk/
Eisen

Eisen

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 am

Oh, I can see the connection now... Eccentric man, eccentric drumming... afro Anyway, I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the question I asked, so no worries.

The aurora. What an amazing sight it must be. I once caught a glimpse of one when I lived in the frozen badlands of Michigan. However, I was much younger than I am now. I don't recall being able to appreciate it as much. Makes me regret it because now I wish I had opportunities to see this stuff in action. The snow blanketing the jagged mountain chain, contrasted by the night sky, but lit up in soft, vivid color. Ahh...

A very nice choice for album inspiration if I may say so.

Next thing is... I'm curious about the drone track. Could you perhaps give a little background as to what inspired it, what kind of work got into it, and whatever sentiments if any you have toward it? It's one of my favorite tracks of yours, drone or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 am

Eisen wrote:
Oh, I can see the connection now... Eccentric man, eccentric drumming... afro Anyway, I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the question I asked, so no worries.

The aurora. What an amazing sight it must be. I once caught a glimpse of one when I lived in the frozen badlands of Michigan. However, I was much younger than I am now. I don't recall being able to appreciate it as much. Makes me regret it because now I wish I had opportunities to see this stuff in action. The snow blanketing the jagged mountain chain, contrasted by the night sky, but lit up in soft, vivid color. Ahh...

A very nice choice for album inspiration if I may say so.

Next thing is... I'm curious about the drone track. Could you perhaps give a little background as to what inspired it, what kind of work got into it, and whatever sentiments if any you have toward it? It's one of my favorite tracks of yours, drone or otherwise.

cool!

as for the drone 'Blue Sunrise' this one is definitely influenced by a dream i had way back when writing 'I Dream Of Orbethia'. Basically upon reaching said planet and after watching the time hole close I witness a blue sunrise ! hence the artwork on 'I Dream'.........

I also love drone music. Anything that resonates the mind .......Binaural beats / meditational etc.

My wife hates it when i put an hour long Theta frequency on in the car! hahaha!

2:38 cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.orbeth.co.uk
Eisen

Eisen

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm

You'll have to hook me up with more of your inspirational sources and knowledge. The music, not to mention the scene in the film itself... wow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

No 13th topic? Empty
PostSubject: Re: No 13th topic?   No 13th topic? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No 13th topic?
Page 1 of 1