ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL ORBETH FORUM!

SOME SECTIONS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO MEMBERS.

PLEASE REGISTER TO GAIN FULL ACCESS INCLUDING ORBETH MUSIC DOWNLOADS!

HAIL!!!
ORBETH EMPIRE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ORBETH EMPIRE

WELCOME TO THE GRACELAND

HomeThe general games thread. - Page 2 EmptySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The general games thread.

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

The general games thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 pm

I only have the DS Lite, my friend has a 3DS though, for Pokemon.

PS3 might be doable though, but I no longer have it hooked up to the internet.

Also have the aforementioned PS1, PS2, PSP, Gamecube, Dreamcast.
Back to top Go down
http://cartooncartoons.forumotion.co.uk/
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Just pulled out Transport Tycoon, trying to get thee olde girl running on the PSP. I've tried the DS one, but the menu screen goes full in the touch screen and half in the top screen, so you can't close it.

I might try on the PC later as I've got the openttd found on one of my memory sticks.

Anyone else a fan?
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm having to redo all that I did on Lego Harry Potter 1-4, as the game won't recognise my save game on the new memory card :boourns:.
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 pm

OK. Any of you fine fellas have any recommendations for gamies on the PSP?

Ridge Racer 2 is out though, as they have timed checkpoints like an arcade gamie.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 am

I used to have one but only really used it for music (Travestyish) ......

That said I think I had Ratchet and Clank on it haha! that was about it. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.orbeth.co.uk
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Any good? And can you cheat? Embarassed .
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 12:05 pm

So, whilst all the big rat-racing, out of control train companies decide what the hell it is they are supposed to actually be doing gaming wise, and how they can be original and more meaningful - such as Nintendo,

I also have been contemplating the best way forward for my Nintendo collection, in my quest to get back into console gaming.

Having bought a cheap Gamecube to just try it out and disliking the nonsensical controller, then discovering all the annoying, trolling faults of the Wii (such as controller ports at the fakken SIDE?!) and the classic controller where the buttons meet in the middle, and the cable runs down from the buttom, and they cut off a corner of the console (TrolOlOLoLOlL!)...

I am now thinking the best way forward may be to get this Wii U thing, and try emulate everything else Nintendo on it. Although I am not fond of the wireless battery type controllers, or built-in wi fi poo either, especially if you can't disable it Laughing

Options options ..... the "paralysis of choice" as one expert said.
Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 2:05 am

Gaia wrote:
Having bought a cheap Gamecube to just try it out and disliking the nonsensical controller

As a competitive player of Smash bros and a fan of the Gamecube, I am all sorts of offended. Nah, but seriously, it is a really nice controller for things like fast and technical inputs in my opinion, but I realize it's not for everyone.

Owning a Wii U myself, I can say that even barely 2 years since its launch, it has already surpassed the Wii in terms of game library and ESPECIALLY game quality. Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, DKC Tropical Freeze, Rayman, Pikmin, LoZ WW, and upcoming games like Xenoblade X and Splatoon look absolutely fantastic. It's amazing to me how much Nintendo does with their more limited hardware in making a game look unique and memorable.

Speaking of, Xenoblade X is a game I'm really excited for, and I'm hoping you folks will like. The scenery in it and its predecessor game Xenoblade Chronicles (which is for Wii and I only recommend emulating it on the Wii since physical copies are uncommon and cost like 90 bucks) are stunning, inspiring, beautiful, etc. They ring a lot of personal taste bells for me, and also kind of remind me of Orbethia.

If you're not aware, the upcoming game is an openworld RPG with massive customization and storyline with a bunch of characters in the cast (which, if they're like the characters from the first game, they'll be entertaining on their own), exploration, quests, side quests, side-side quests, a bunch of different types of weapons including guns (fairly uncommon in RPGs as far as I'm aware). But let me find a video, which will do more talking... in Japanese.

13:35 for the most "Orbethian" continent.
Back to top Go down
Bijimitsu
Admin
Bijimitsu

Location : Orbethian Architect - guitarist, drummer, keyboard slayer, bass slapper, vocalist, producer............... I am but a thought.................

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 am

Great stuff Eisen!

Trust me the new record will complement your thoughts and visions!

Good things are coming!

Back to top Go down
http://www.orbeth.co.uk
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Eisen wrote:
Gaia wrote:
Having bought a cheap Gamecube to just try it out and disliking the nonsensical controller

As a competitive player of Smash bros and a fan of the Gamecube, I am all sorts of offended. Nah, but seriously, it is a really nice controller for things like fast and technical inputs in my opinion, but I realize it's not for everyone.

Owning a Wii U myself, I can say that even barely 2 years since its launch, it has already surpassed the Wii in terms of game library and ESPECIALLY game quality. Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, DKC Tropical Freeze, Rayman, Pikmin, LoZ WW, and upcoming games like Xenoblade X and Splatoon look absolutely fantastic. It's amazing to me how much Nintendo does with their more limited hardware in making a game look unique and memorable.

Ah some good ol intelligently offensive, stirring things up debate, just what is required. Now... as max and paddy would say: How dare you. How dare you!

To be fair I have a limited experience of the controller - having only played about half dozen Gamecube titles.

However this was just my initial and confirmed perception of it, confirmed again recently so - proably unlikely to change much. Also Gamecube didn't have enough top quality titles to warrant owning a console imo, and my latest investigations have just confirmed as much.

I have never been that interested in the more Asian-esq titles of Nintendo, which they have been doing ever more of lately. They were always too... well... Asian.

Don't get me wrong, the Nintendo brand is great - or at least was great but imo, and many others - they are not what they used to be during their Snes/64 days... for X number of reasons. They made some poor choices (from hardcore gamers perspective at least) and are still in the industry presumably simply because they can afford to be. But that won't last forever. Making mass market fitness-oriented units like the Wii obviously sold well for that reason but - the "revolution " they were championing hasn't exactly become a standard - hence the somewhat revert back with Wii U unit design.

You don't need to be an expert to see companies like Nintendo are just experimenting around at the moment, so long as you are good with attention to details. And experimenting around is not going full throttle. One of the big issues is lack of large number of quality games, especially FPS (like Goldeneye). I'm sure Mario Kart 8 is great, in fact I know it is at least good as I've seen and had a go but, a handful of games on bandwagon console is not going to re-invigorate Nintendos hardcore fans.

In most peoples view, Nintendo has been going downhill (from a hardcore gamer perspective) since the Gamecube. The 8th gen was a good opportunity to get back in the market and save the home game console from graphics-obssessed, online-obssessed, cross-platform selling obsessed poop... an opportunity which Nintendo seem to have fairly wasted... purely for the sake of it imo.

If you happen to be a fan of all things Asian and Nintendo then The Gamecube and everything after is probably of more relevance to you and still super great. I know plenty of Nintendo fans love all that SmashBros, Pikmin, PokeYDog type stuff. But for us more casual fans - we are still waiting for a full revival. I personally am in the middle of concluding that Nintendo are losing/have lost the plot and aren't worth supporting currently. Unless the original Wii Pro controller could work with more games and use more of the Wii U games, I am not that interested in the Wii U currently. The gamepad controller idea is somewhat interesting - I think being able to view maps on your controller as well as on-screen could be a useful bonus and quite revolutionary if it doesn't affect the controls much. But otherwise I think their time would be better spent focusing on content from a classic perspective and playability, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

That said - neither is the new generation of Xbox or Playstation that outstanding or original to my knowledge either. They all seem to be just TrolOLoLOlolLing along, kicking the can a bit down the road and raking in some extra cash for now. Hence why they are selling 7th and 8th generation consoles are the same sodding time still.
Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Yeah, as much as our opinion differs, I can agree on some things, like how Nintendo completely fails to attract third party developers these days. Honestly I think devs just avoid Nintendo because of its name at this point, but I'm sure Nintendo also avoids mature content for specific reasons. There are some Nintendo FPSes out there and TPSes (Here's to hoping for a new Metroid FPS that's competitively friendly), but there honestly isn't much if you're into the genre.

There are a few things I love most about Nintendo, especially lately. Game quality for one. It seems like this gen Xbox and PS4 have oversaturated their market with zombie games, games that are broken/don't work right, games that have more content in DLC than an actual game, shooters, and a few diamonds in the rough like Killer Instinct, Trials Fusion, Titanfall, etc.

As much as I appreciate realistic and semi-realistic shooters, the only ones on Xbox that interest me are Titanfall and Halo. Everything else feels like "shoot infinite zombies" or "not another war-based shooter"... that is, something that has been done time and time again, and I'm just not a fan of because I tend to gravitate towards more fantastical environments. Not saying others shouldn't be fans of those games, but for me personally it just doesn't work. I enjoy being cast into different, but believable, worlds.

I'm also big on "interesting" game mechanics, player-to-player interaction, story, and environment immersion. Titanfall, while lacking a single player experience, I think is a fantastic multiplayer experience. I'd rather have a lush, fleshed out environment for multiplayer action where I really feel like I'm in the world I'm playing in rather than a half-ass multiplayer just so a half-ass campaign can exist. Also, its double jumping, wall-running, futuristic titan action with some really great lore just makes me love this title.

For the most part it seems like dates for games to be pushed out are too soon for devs to really work on games. Ridiculous deadlines are kinda the norm for multiplatform games, from what I've heard. Another problem this industry is suffering from...

But back to Nintendo for a minute... Honestly I've just grown up with them, and everything I liked on Playstation is either gone or broken or isn't the same (see: Twisted Metal). I've grown up with Mario and DK and Samus and Pikachu and Yoshi and Bowser and Star Fox and all that. Hence one of the reasons Smash Bros is probably my favorite franchise. I can play as any one of those characters I enjoy and at the same time work my mind by undergoing player-to-player interaction.

Further, Nintendo games on the Wii U are for the most part stunning, not so much graphically as aesthetically. Mario Kart 8 is one of the best looking games I've ever seen (for some reason); I really hope Metroid gets the same treatment... It's merely an opinion, but CoD AW to me looks like absolute crap. I mean yeah, graphically it can show a lot and it looks "real" but I feel like so much detail was put in that none was left to the imagination and that less effort was put in towards making the world/environment feel more cohesive. But I'm guaranteed to get crap from a load of fanboys if I say that out in public where the trolls roam...

Nintendo isn't great with multiplats lately, but their IPs have been very pleasant and fun for me. Nintendo has arguably the best lineup of recognized/liked video game characters and franchises, but where it falls short is ignoring some of them (Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox) for others (Pokemon, Mario, Zelda). Though lately they've been better about it... So glad we're not expecting a crapload of Mario-centric games this year. I'm tired of that fat mustached Italian lmao.

I do wish Ninty would stop screwing with "innovation" as their selling point and just sell a good base console with peripherals similar to the gamepad and Wiimote separately for certain games. Although I honestly LOVE the gamepad. I can play Smash while I take a shit, or stream Netflix in the comfort beneath my warm, fart-ridden blankets. I also love the Wii U... it takes a shit all over the Wii, which in my opinion has been Nintendo's worst console by far.

I see benefits in both Xbox One and Wii U for different reasons... haven't experienced a PS4 and I don't know what games are on there that I'd enjoy so I can't say.

I've always liked Xbox's "Live" setup. It just works so nicely. Xbox also contains a few IPs and multiplats I enjoy with a great system for gamers to play online and make friends. Nintendo for me just kinda has the best unique stories and fantastical worlds, usually made with great care and quality, plus their indie games aren't bad. They also own the handheld market, a convenience for me.

But anyway, this all sprouted from discussion of a controller. I feel like I went too far, but I am passionate about my opinion on this stuff. There's just too much hate and not enough understanding in the gaming community imo... I kinda want to fix it, and try to fix it constantly like a fool, but hey... I suppose I'm a dreamer? And also I hate seeing arrogance perpetuate... I think diversity in any market is great, but especially in the gaming industry, so... I don't see why some fuckheads can't just live with the fact that I love my Nintendo franchises. bounce

That pokeYdog comment got me to chuckle though. I didn't understand it at first. Well-played. And yes, how DARE you! Not liking your hands in positions I like mine in while playing with stuff... Wait... Shocked

S'all good though. I played with so many controllers that I never got used to one in particular. I also happen to think Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers are the best I've ever used, but Gamecube controllers have served me well too. I certainly hope your favorite isn't that wonky 3-gripped, alien-dildo-looking crapstick on the N64. We might have some choice words then... lol
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Agreed with much of what you said.

Eisen wrote:
Yeah, as much as our opinion differs, I can agree on some things

I don't think it does - I think you are just not too practiced in very critical communication? Much of what you said was in fact repeating / expanding on sentiments I made.

Some key parts I thought you made:

Eisen wrote:
Nintendo has arguably the best lineup of recognized/liked video game characters and franchises, but where it falls short is ignoring some of them (Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox) for others (Pokemon, Mario, Zelda). Though lately they've been better about it...

Nintendo for me just kinda has the best unique stories and fantastical worlds, usually made with great care and quality, plus their indie games aren't bad.

Eisen wrote:
There are a few things I love most about Nintendo, especially lately. Game quality for one. It seems like this gen Xbox and PS4 have oversaturated their market with zombie games, games that are broken/don't work right, games that have more content in DLC than an actual game, shooters, and a few diamonds in the rough like Killer Instinct, Trials Fusion, Titanfall, etc.

The idea that a game is expected to not work right - or that you have to download significant extras for it regularly is in my view nonsense - part of the growing idiocracy.
Back to top Go down
Eisen

Eisen

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 am

Hmm, apologies if I seemed like I thinking we were in heavy opposition--not my intention. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if some of that did happen in my head and/or come out that way unintentionally because of how I was raised and whatnot. I'm prone to getting defensive without even realizing it.

The main thing I was getting at is I felt like we disagree on what genres of games we like and who we expect our content from. Just some difference in taste of genres/styles. Did I miss something though? I swear, I don't think I was raised very well in respecting all the nuances of criticism...

Personally, I like to think I'm used to analyzation and criticism and all that, just not... the formalities of it, if that makes sense? I feel like I tackle serious issues with a solid perspective but not so much with a "sound" argument to back that up. (why don't they teach that more solidly in school anyways)

But yes, I do think it's ridiculous how dumbed down the video game industry has become in some areas. First they started to add a whole bunch of content that was half-baked and half-finished instead of one solid idea that was worked hard on--they tried fitting too much into a game in too little time. Now they just... don't even put in that much effort half the time it feels like. Now that video games are more widespread, the ones that sell to the masses get the funding but often not the attention to detail and passion of a game of lower caliber/popularity.
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Anyone do any PC gaming?

Recently I've had a bash at the ol Age of Empires 2 series. Anyone know it?
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 2:50 pm

I have a whole bunch of PC gamies that I really have to try.

If you like Age of Empires, get Age of Mythology, they are made by the same developers.

I'm going to try Supreme Commander soon, just need the time. It is the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, also a great RTS.

Also, I might try and get Birth of the Federation going on this comp. It has its flaws, but is still Star Trek's best game, along with Bridge Commander, which I also have.
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Tommy I shall have to check them out.

If you ever do any AOE2 playing feel free to give me a shout, we could have some battles.
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Will do.

Is it Age of Kings? If so, I have that.
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Me and Ben had a bit of discussion regarding online battles with Age of Empires 2. Unfortunately, I have the cd version whereas you both have steam version, and a bit of digging around, found that the two are incompatible with each other for online gaming. Shame.

We'll have to coordinate a game that is on physical media that we all have and can hook up. I'm going to, after the book is done a bit more, install Supreme Commander on this comp and see how it runs. Look in CEX for it, as they are charging 10 pence for it.
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
Me and Ben had a bit of discussion regarding online battles with Age of Empires 2. Unfortunately, I have the cd version whereas you both have steam version, and a bit of digging around, found that the two are incompatible with each other for online gaming. Shame.

We'll have to coordinate a game that is on physical media that we all have and can hook up. I'm going to, after the book is done a bit more, install Supreme Commander on this comp and see how it runs. Look in CEX for it, as they are charging 10 pence for it.

Oh really, so we are all supposed to get physical media just so's we can accommodate and play with you eh King Tommy? Just kidding.

1) I don't think they are incompatible entirely but, imagine it's very hard fiddling getting them to work. I've had people get as far as into the lobby of the game chatting who had the HD version but couldn't get further than that so - you're welcome to try if you think you could do it.

2) I have the CD version myself but, due to various incompatibility issues and Ben making an effort to check out the coolness of the game but, we decided to both do AOE2HD.

In time if Ben sticks at it I will probably try encourage him to buy the AOE2 original version disc with conquerors expansion as it has its own uniqueness. But at the moment, I - and I imagine Ben is also happy playing at AOE2HD. So, unless Ben has anything to add,  you are welcome to battle just me on the Disc version classic .... or you can get a copy of AOE2HD online for about £5 like I did on a site like Ebay and join us at your leisure.

p.s. Could you hook me up a link for the exact version of Supreme Commander you are talking about? I will look into getting it but, if it's like any of these more modern strategies I don't think I will be keen on it. (also 10 pence is retarded and no doubt del insane)
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Gaia wrote:
2) I have the CD version myself but, due to various incompatibility issues and Ben making an effort to check out the coolness of the game but, we decided to both do AOE2HD.

Totally understandable

Gaia wrote:
In time if Ben sticks at it I will probably try encourage him to buy the AOE2 original version disc with conquerors expansion as it has its own uniqueness. But at the moment, I - and I imagine Ben is also happy playing at AOE2HD. So, unless Ben has anything to add,  you are welcome to battle just me on the Disc version classic .... or you can get a copy of AOE2HD online for about £5 like I did on a site like Ebay and join us at your leisure.

I'll look into it, but I have to say, I'm a physical media kinda guy, as I've had many hard drive failures in the past, and it has heightened my senses to owning the stuff on disc, rather than a download. I know you can probably re-download the thing, but well...

Gaia wrote:
p.s. Could you hook me up a link for the exact version of Supreme Commander you are talking about? I will look into getting it but, if it's like any of these more modern strategies I don't think I will be keen on it. (also 10 pence is retarded and no doubt del insane)

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=4005209086646#.VuLpvX2LS70 that's the one I got. It is the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, which is also a great RTS. Can't remember if you can play online with it though.

Also, finally picked up F-Zero GX on the Gamecube.
Back to top Go down
Gaia

Gaia

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
I'll look into it, but I have to say, I'm a physical media kinda guy, as I've had many hard drive failures in the past, and it has heightened my senses to owning the stuff on disc, rather than a download. I know you can probably re-download the thing, but well...

Sounds like you were dealing with some infected/dodgy software perhaps. I've never had a hard drive fail from legitimately bought sources - such as the Ebay buy.

When/if such time as you decide to get it (The HD edition), If you fancy trying just me on the original version give me a shout.

Optimus Prime wrote:
Gaia wrote:
p.s. Could you hook me up a link for the exact version of Supreme Commander

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=4005209086646#.VuLpvX2LS70 that's the one I got. It is the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, which is also a great RTS. Can't remember if you can play online with it though.

Also, finally picked up F-Zero GX on the Gamecube.

Nice work. I will give it a check next time I come across it if not before. Although I'm not sure it will compete with AOE2.
Back to top Go down
JeepSwensonFan

JeepSwensonFan

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Gaia wrote:
Sounds like you were dealing with some infected/dodgy software perhaps. I've never had a hard drive fail from legitimately bought sources - such as the Ebay buy.

You'd think that, but the comp I'm using now, when I last used it, there was nowt on it and the hdd failed. I would have taken it back to the shop, but they are a right pain in the arse to deal with regarding returning an item. Same thing with an internal memory card reader.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The general games thread.   The general games thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The general games thread.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2